Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Cheap eats discovery: Bagan Burmese!

Shop 4, 41 The Boulevarde, Strathfield
Phone: (02) 8746 0666

What a gem discovery of a local cheap eats! Never noticed this before despite its flashing neon signs - think I previously dismissed it as another Indian restaurant, and the bright lights probably turned me off. But intrigued after reading a review of this Burmese restaurant, I followed the address and to my surprise found a bustling place, at least for a Tuesday night!

The first thing we noticed when we opened the menu was the prices - CHEAP as! Entrees were priced around $5, mains $10-$15!



The dish on the left is my favourite - fried pork intestines! It wasn't obvious from the menu. There were pictures for every dish, but most dishes had Burmese names, and descriptions were rare. When I asked the waitress what it was, she asked if I spoke Chinese - I said I did - and she told me what it was in Mandarin. I wasn't 100% sure I really understood, but decided to go for it anyway, and am I glad I did! (Aside - I used to order this everytime I went to Golden Century with my family for 宵夜 "siu yeh" - Canto term for post-midnight snack - tho it looked different to Bagan's. The skin of the fried pork intestines "juu dai cheung" from Golden Century is coloured a bright red, and doesn't look as deep fried as the above photo. Delicious!)

Oh, the dish on the left is grapefruit salad, which was also nice - different and refreshing.

Below was our mains. Must say I wasn't as enamoured with the Burmese curries - we ordered Pork and Mango curry (back, in bowl) - not anything special and couldn't taste the mango. Probably won't order curry next time. The spinach (front left) however was great! And I think it was something like $7?!


Not surprisingly, because it was so affordable, we ordered more food than we could eat, despite promising that we would save room for dessert. There was none. Dessert for next time!

2 comments:

L A said...

Jeebus - I am drooling!

Anonymous said...

Yo! We are definitely going back, and we're gonna keep going back till we eat every menu item (excluding the curry). 2 entrees, 2 mains and one dessert for each session. How's that sound. Dammit now I'm hungry....