Saturday, April 12, 2008

Rocksalt - my fave Canberra restaurant!

Shop 4 ,78 Hawker Pl, Hawker 2614 ACT
Phone: (02) 6254 7865

If there's one thing I miss about Canberra, it's this restaurant. It is hands down the best restaurant in Canberra! This was my third time, and I really wanted to go for the 8-course degustation ($88/$120 with wine) which is just excellent value in comparison to some degustation menus in Sydney! Alas, no one on the table wanted one, and it was not possible to get a degustation for one, so I settled on ordering 3 courses...

First up the Half-shell QLD scallops with blue-cheese butter, saffron and pea risotto. The scallops were fresh and risotto delicious, tho I couldn't taste the blue-cheese butter. All up enjoyed it tho!

Now I never do this, but I couldn't help it. I ordered the same main dish here that I have on both previous occasions. Last time I had promised myself that I would try something new, but craved it so much that I said "next time". This time, I justified ordering it again as I hadn't been back to Canberra for six months. Et voila:

Rocksalt's double roasted duck on sweet potato bolongierre with duck sausage and rich duck jus. Need I say more.

The other highlight of this restaurant is it's delightful desserts board, which the waiter carries out to your table come time for this heavenly course, and explains the desserts of the day. It is always the hardest to choose which one, as all sound so unique and wonderful.

We settled on the Sticky date pudding with brandy icecream, to share, as we were all so stuffed (I don't know why I thought I could fit 8 courses, especially after having a lunch degustation that day).


Couldn't resist also ordering some of their home-made icecream - also do this everytime, as they always have new flavours to sample. They didn't have the blue cheese icecream this time, so we tried 3 new flavours - the brown sugar, cinnamon and choc-chip cookies. We also got to try their poppy seed icecream, which we didn't end up ordering, as it had more texture than taste.

Ah, heaven in Canberra - would you believe it's possible?

No comments: